Monday, May 17, 2010

Healthy Laps reviews Megafruit dried fruits

A few weeks ago, Megafruit sent me samples of their three delicious types of dried fruit: Baby Pineapple, Mangosteen and Lychee.

As you know, I absolutely love dried fruit, especially (and normally only) dried fruit without added sugar so I was psyched to be able to sample these 3 fruits that I had not tried before. I love dried fruit as a snack, as fuel during long runs or bike rides and as dessert. It is easy to take with you on road trips and vacation as well.

According to their website, Megafruit is the new superfruit! These 3 fruits offer an incredible list of vitamins and nutrients and are dried without any preservatives or added sugars. I ate all of the fruit while I was on the go, just by itself.

Let’s get to the fruit!

First, I tried the Baby Pineapple. (my camera liked it so much, that it ate the picture!!)

I never even knew that baby pineapples existed. How cute are they?!

(Source)

I love unsweetened dried pineapple, so I knew that I would love this as well. I was right! Compared to the normal dried pineapple that I am used to eating, the baby pineapple was smaller.

(Source)

It is also a little bit sweeter and more tender, but tastes just like mouth-watering fresh pineapple. The pineapple was sweet, but not too sweet. It was a real sweet, not a fake sugary sweet. This was by far my favorite of the 3!

Megafruit’s website gives the following information about the pineapple -

Contains a myriad of beneficial minerals including:

  • Micronutrients may protect against cancer and break up blood clots
  • Bromelins that may block reduces swelling related to arthritis, sore throat, sinusitis
  • Manganese, aiding the healthy growth of tissue and bones
  • Fiber that will help in digestion and stimulate kidneys and aid in flushing toxins from the body, helping you to LIVE LIGHT

Next up, I tried the Lychee.

I have only had lychee a few times, and mainly in a martini, so I didn’t know too much about them. They were originally grown in Southern China, but they have now spread to some US states, such as Hawaii and Florida.

(Source)

You eat the inside part of the Lychee. The white part is sweet and juicy.

(Source)

When I dug into the dried lychee, I was expecting something sweet. Boy, was this sweet! Delicious, but super sweet (and again…it was a real sweet, not a sugary sweet). It doesn’t really taste like anything else that I have had. Lychee’s have a very unique flavor.

(Source)

I would buy this again in a second! It wasn’t a dried fruit that I could eat a whole bag of at once, but a few pieces mixed into some trail mix or with other dried fruit was perfect.

From the Megafruit website:

  • Just 9 lychees or a handful of the fruit meets an adult’s recommended daily requirement of Vitamin C (Contains 72mg per 100 grams)
  • Low in saturated fat, cholesterol and sodium
  • Rich in dietary fiber
  • Good source of other minerals such as copper – for production of red blood cells; potassium – to control heart rate and blood pressure and B- Vitamins – to metabolize carbohydrates, fats and proteins
  • Contains flavonoids which have proven to be effective against the growth of cancer cells

Lastly, the Mangosteen.

I had no idea what to expect from the Mangosteen. I had never even heard of it before, so therefore had never tried it. Apparently mangosteen is not related to a mango. It is known as the world’s best tasting fruit. They are grown in warm climates in Thailand and the surrounding areas, as well as in the Caribbean. The mangosteen is a round, purple fruit slightly smaller than a tennis ball. To eat it, you can crush the brittle yet moist rind with your palms to reveal the pure-white delicacy inside. The bitter rind is inedible, and the fruit comes in the form of variously sized wedged segments, the largest of which may hold a solitary seed. (source)

(Source)

(Source)

I have never had a fresh mangosteen, but I have heard that the taste is nothing like you have tasted before. Sweet, but tart at the same time. The dried fruit was no different. At first, I was not sure that I liked it. I was not sure what it tasted like at all. But, after a few pieces, it grew on me. The tartness hits first, but then it finishes with a sweetness mixed with a smokiness. The smokiness seems to linger into the aftertaste.

I really enjoyed being able to try the dried mangosteen, but now it just makes me want to try the fresh fruit so much more! I think a trip to Thailand or Costa Rica needs to be in my future. :)

From the Megafruit website:

  • Called the queen of fruits
  • Has been called the most delicious fruit in the world
  • Rarely available in the US market due to the delicate environment it needs to grow in
  • High Level of Xanthones – considered to be the most powerful of all antioxidants with benefits researched to cover:
    • Improved cardiovascular health
    • Natural antibiotic
    • Antiviral
    • Anti-inflammatory
    • Anti- aging

Thank you so much, Megafruit for letting me try these three delicious megafruits!


No comments:

Post a Comment